A True Love

One of my dearest fascinations is worms. For as long as I can recall, earthworms have been a favourite animal of mine, and recently I have been permitted to farm them. That was so exciting: I had just gotten home, and sitting on my desk was a voucher for European nightcrawlers (Eisenia hortensis). Mother came in, and said, "Krystyn, you're into UCLA, you deserve this". Oh my, how wonderful! Anyway, I started out with 25, and at this point they've outgrown their current habitat so I've since moved them outside. A few of them are over a foot long, and I do believe they've multiplied, too. 

There are over 2,000 species of earthworms, and approximately 650 of those species are found is Australia. Here is an example of how remarkable some Australian worms are.

And here's a compelling concept:
"...it may be doubted if there are any other animals which have played such an important part in the history of the world as these lowly organized creatures."
- Charles Darwin [on the wonder of earthworms]

1 comment:

  1. After reading these blogs, I'm kind of impressed, at what a huge nerd you are.

    And I mean that as a compliment. Just in terms of intelligence, as well as being into dorky things. Because dorky is cool.

    ReplyDelete